D-Bus User Bus

Christian Dywan christian at lanedo.com
Fri May 21 04:24:05 PDT 2010

Am Wed, 19 May 2010 22:44:02 -0400
schrieb Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com>:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > Let's not forget that gdm currently makes it impossible to login
> > twice as the same user.
>
> gah! doesn't that mean that the _only_ way to get two sessions per
> homedir is network homedir?
> So what is the point of this whole user bus thing if you've already
> declared one session per user per machine to be the policy, the
> session bus is effectively already what you want...

For what I want, most users outside of GNOME do not run gdm. They use
xdm, lxdm or slim. KDE users presumably run kdm.

And not few people simply run startx(fce) because they have single-user
machines at home.

Not to forget ssh.

Remember, this is freedesktop.org, not gnome-devel-list :-)

ciao,
    Christian