User bus conclusion

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 9 15:40:09 PST 2010

On Wed, 10.11.10 00:25, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:

> On Tuesday, 9 de November de 2010 23:06:42 Ryan Lortie wrote:
> >  - we recommend the session bus will no longer be started
> >
> >  - we recommend that the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable
> >    be set to the socket of the user bus (to support old DBus client
> >    libraries and/or applications)
> >
> >  - maybe eventually DBus client libraries can issue deprecation warnings
> >    to stderr about session bus use by applications
>
> Isn't the new user bus simply saying that the session bus has a fixed
> address?

This is definitely the main point. But there's more. For example the
user bus is strictly defined to be non-networked. For the session bus
this was still kinda left open.

The runtime of the user bus should be something like "first login" to
"last logout" of a user, plus while stuff like cronjobs and suchlike
might be running which is started outside of a classic login.

Also note that I expected that for a minimal number of uses a classic
session bus will continue to be used for a while. (example: gdm managing
multiple displays, and wanting to run a greeter session on each display,
all sharing the same gdm user id).

> Why do we need new API and deprecation warnings?

because there are certain semantical differences and we want developers
to be aware of it. But again, those warnings will be shown eventually,
not right-away.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.