User bus conclusion

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Nov 10 04:59:00 PST 2010

On Tue, 09.11.10 22:09, Ryan Lortie (desrt at desrt.ca) wrote:

> We briefly discussed the possibility on IRC that we would keep both
> "user" and "session" busses and let applications decide what they want
> to use based on their intention -- services like dconf are user, bus
> names held for application uniqueness are session.  For most normal uses
> these two busses would actually be the same bus (the user bus) but for
> weird setups, people could separate them.  I'm not sure if the
> additional confusion that this adds would be worth it.

I am not convinced that this will fly, because most apps will just
allocate a single DBusConnection and will expect to be able to reach
all services via it. If in some setups some of the services are actually
on a different bus this would create quite some confusion and developers
would still have to think about the distinction between user and session
which I really want to spare them.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.