User bus conclusion

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 10 06:25:05 PST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
> My take is that you _either_ declare that unsupported, and get the
> benefits of your model for apps; or you keep essentially the current
> model (at least from the perspective of apps, they remain
> theoretically required to handle multiple sessions per user).

I guess an alternative is to have _GNOME_ require the OS configuration
where each login joins an existing session. dbus remains as-is, but
gnome-session or the like might puke if it detects the wrong OS
config.

So dbus has just a session bus; the OS may guarantee that only one
session per machine is allowed, and if so that's somehow detectable;
and GNOME requires that no second session gets started, but KDE may
choose to still support it.

I think "it's like screen, we'll make all logins join an existing
session" is kind of the clearest (and most
positive/explain-the-benefits) way to describe this technical
direction, btw. Reframes things so you don't just get flamed about the
stuff that breaks and people can see some value. And also makes clear
that it's pretty much an OS change.