User bus conclusion

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Sat Nov 13 06:40:14 PST 2010

On Wed Nov 10 17:05, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> User logs in once. User logs in a second time. Both graphically. Now he
> adds two applets to his first login. One RSS feed applet show his
> favourite slashdot.org feed, the other one another RSS feed
> spiegel.de. Now he logs out from the first login. Logs out from the
> second. Logs in again. Should both applets now be shown? Logs in again
> on the second as well. Should he now have 4 applets in total? He kills
> an applet on one screen. Should the applet be removed on the other too?
> Or only when he logs out? Or never? If he moves the applet around on one
> screen, should it move around on the other too? Or should it only change
> position after logout/relogin? Or would you keep it all time seperate?

I don't disagree that there are issues here, but you know what, I don't really
care what happens in this situation. Don't Do That Then. Pick a sensible and
consistent option, then just keep that behavior. Maybe the first one wins, or
the last one. Maybe you're prompted if they are different. Maybe you inotify
the config so that when the first one is changed, it automagically changes on
the second. There are clearly ways to solve this that aren't just "oh, it's too
hard, lets just prevent you from doing that".

Maybe you do want to support the less knowledgable folks for whom this might be
confusing, but please don't do so at the expense of the rest of us, who like
the freedom and capability that linux currently offers to do things like this.

> But how would you do this, when he logs in again, how would you select
> the stored applet info to restore? Now, to make it even messier he uses
> two different screens for this: one small one and one big one. Because
> he has way more real estate on one than on the other he has a lot more
> applets on one than on the other. So, if he logs out now, and logs in,
> what happens with his earlier configuration?

What happens if I only have one at a time and they are different resolutions?
This isn't a problem unique to multiple simultaneous logins.

Matt