User bus conclusion

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Sat Nov 13 15:01:47 PST 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Matthew Johnson <dbus at matthew.ath.cx> wrote:
> This is a big no-go for me. It's a _bug_ if I can't log into two machines on a
> shared home directory at once, people should be fixing it so that this works,
> not breaking it so that I can't do it at all.

btw this is really the crux of the user bus debate. If network
homedirs don't matter the user bus is useful because it can "lock" the
home directory in effect. If network homedirs do matter, user bus is
useful for the vfs daemon perhaps, and pulseaudio, but you can
probably count the uses of it on one hand, so that's why I've tended
to argue those uses should just use system bus names with the uid in
them, or use fcntl locking, or whatever else, rather than having a
whole additional bus for just a short list of things. if network
homedirs are supposed to work then the user bus is just asking people
to Do It Wrong since most attempts to use the user bus will be useless
in the network homedir case.

user bus in the above paragraph is of course in the "classic" sense, a
bus spanning sessions, rather than the per-user session sense.