DBus connection peer PID

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Sun Oct 3 09:32:30 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm contributing to a new KDE application named KSecretService wich aims to
safely store application secrets into a freedesktop.org style service,
accessible via DBus.

I have the  task to implement an ACL handling system and I'm trying to figure
out how one can say what PID is sending messages to our daemon via DBus.

Looking into documentation and 1.2 version sources I found out that DBus
provides dbus_connection_get_unix_process_id among other functions.

I tryed this function, but it returns false. When stepping into the code, I
can saw that the credential/PID is not filled-in.

My question : what should I change in the configuration of my DBus daemon to
get it send the client credentials to the server ? And by the way, is it
possible in the current state of the implementation to get this information ?

My config : openSuSE 11.3 with the latest updates and dbus version 1.2.24
(cant' wait for the 1.4 system update :)

Thanks,
Valentin