DBUS build: make install does not run strip on the libs

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 22:34:48 PDT 2010

Hi All,

While building DBUS from source, I found that running 'make install'
does not run strip on dbus libs while putting them in the install
location. Looking at the Makefile I found a dedicated 'install-strip'
target which is running strip on the libs.

However, if I make this target (install-strip), it _does_ strip and
install the libs on the install location, BUT also fails with the
following error:

/bin/bash /home/mandeep/work/dbus/install-sh -d
/tmp/apr-dbus/share/dbus-1/system-services
if test '!' -d /tmp/apr-dbus/bin; then \
		/bin/bash /home/mandeep/work/dbus/install-sh -d /tmp/apr-dbus/bin; \
		chmod 755 /tmp/apr-dbus/bin; \
	fi
/bin/bash ../libtool --mode=install /bin/bash
/home/mandeep/work/dbus/install-sh -c -s dbus-daemon /tmp/apr-dbus/bin
libtool: install: /bin/bash /home/mandeep/work/dbus/install-sh -c -s
dbus-daemon /tmp/apr-dbus/bin/dbus-daemon
strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file
`/tmp/apr-dbus/bin/_inst.18797_'
make[4]: *** [install-data-hook] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/mandeep/work/dbus/bus'
make[3]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mandeep/work/dbus/bus'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mandeep/work/dbus/bus'

So my question, why doesn't install run strip on the generated libs?
And, is 'install-strip' a valid target to be called directly?

Thanks,
-mandeep