Clarification on some bus behaviour

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Sep 8 05:02:08 PDT 2010

Em Quarta-feira 08 Setembro 2010, às 13:12:58, Will Thompson escreveu:
> On 08/09/10 10:56, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > 1) Is the application allowed to assume that the bus will send all
> > messages that have this connection as a destination, without having to
> > add a match rule for it? In other words, can I drop that first add_match
> > above?
> >
> > I would think that the answer here is Yes. This rule should be implicit.
>
> I agree. I think it already is implicit from
> <http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-bus>,
> but maybe only from the Ping example given there. I've attached a patch
> making it explicit.

Thank you. I'd say apply the patch.

> I'm probably missing something, but I don't really see why you need to
> know who owns that bus name, if it's never going to change.

Knowing that it's never going to change is already an improvement, since I
don't need to check whether it changed.

However, I still need to know the current owner.

> I guess you need to verify that incoming messages from the daemon really
> are from the daemon; but if so, I think it would be better for everyone
> if we mandated the reference implementation's behaviour.

I don't need to verify that incoming messages from the daemon are from the
daemon. I need a way of telling apart an incoming message from the daemon from
a message coming from somewhere else.

Each message has a sender field. I just need to know what to expect in this
field.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358