Off-topic: D-Bus in the kernel

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 16 16:37:27 PDT 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:18:00 +0900, Marcel Holtmann <marcel at holtmann.org>
wrote:
> not sure how you come to your conclusion. D-Bus is a well defined
> inter-process/networking protocol and so it does make sense to implement
> it in kernel space.

Sure.

> For the signal subscription via AddMatch, there
> might is some extra work needed, but surely that is not argument to not
> try it.

You don't (selectively) parse HTTP headers in the TCP/IP stack, do you?.
AddMatch, and in fact, any (in-band) request to the bus will require
parsing whole DBus messages in kernel space - or offloading to a user-space
bus helper that instructs the kernel via some funky ioctl()s or similar.

>> But I expect the worst part of a kernel D-Bus to be the security
>> enforcement. Parsing files in kernel space is a complete non-starter,
>> and that includes service files. So it might be possible to move the
>> session bus to kernel space, but I am not very optimistic about the
>> system bus. Hmm, anyone fordbustables and NetFilter-DBus?
>
> I don't see this as a problem. Of course nobody is parsing XML files
> inside the kernel, but then again, the whole security of D-Bus should be
> deprecated anyway.

That might be a good idea. But will this fly with the community at large?
Kernel DBus might be a tough sell if it removes well-established
"features".

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net