Off-topic: D-Bus in the kernel

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Sep 21 08:27:52 PDT 2010

Em Terça-feira 21 Setembro 2010, às 14:49:13, Marcus Brinkmann escreveu:
> For DBus, alas, I find it hard to find any documentation in this regard.
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-January/002021.html
> seems to come close, but it is actually a negative statement, in that the
> stated requirements are peripheral (control, license, implementation
> language etc).  If DBus were a stable interface, its properties could be
> analyzed after the fact, but the discussion on file descriptor passing for
> example showed that there is still substantial flux.

The file descriptor change was extremely minor compared to the rest. There was
never any discussion of the wire protocol after the agreement that adding file-
descriptor passing was a good thing.

The wire protocol is very stable and that's what matters. If you want to have
a discussion, just go ahead.

The user-level API, especially that exposed by libdbus-1 is irrelevant for
your discussion.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2010  -  Munich Oct 11-13  -  San Francisco Nov 1-3
For more information and to register: http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2010