Off-topic: D-Bus in the kernel

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 21 15:57:19 PDT 2010

On 09/21/2010 09:32 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 21. September 2010 20.13.03 Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>> Multicasting, IMO, raises serious resource management issues from a kernel
>> developers point of view (dunno if Linux people care about that, though).
>> You won't find a modern microkernel supporting multicasting.  It's
>
> Just an off-topic side-note: IPv6 requires multicasting, and IPv6 is starting
> to be required if you want to connect to the Internet. Mobile operators will
> require it from 2011 onwards (some 2012).

Yes, but the network stack doesn't necessarily need to be in the kernel (in
fact, for microkernels it never is).  In any way, you don't need to look at
multicast to find DoS attacks in the internet.  The internet is not robust
against DoS by design (that's a good thing: it has allowed to grow the
internet quickly, and the advantages of that outweigh the lack of security by
far).

By the way, by multicasting I was refering to X-to-many IPC (as the poster I
replied to did).

Thanks,
Marcus