Fwd: Re: Failing to connect to D-Bus

Andy Bell andy at j2kvideo.com
Mon Sep 27 10:43:15 PDT 2010

  The issue is that is it is failing at the dbus_bus_get line in the
code, it is returning the error I have listed below in the email.  I am
using dbus to monitor USB hard disks being mounted on the system, I have
found an issue whereby hald is crashing out as it can't read
/proc/mounts so I am guessing that is why it's failing.

Thanks, Andy
On 9/27/10 7:31 PM, Sathia Narayanan wrote:
> You are connecting the system bus and tring to access what? and how?
>

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Andy Bell <andy at j2kvideo.com
> <mailto:andy at j2kvideo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I have started to develop a client using a D-Bus service.  For
>     some reason I am always getting an error on initialisation using
>     the following code:
>
>         DBusConnection * connection;
>         DBusError error;
>
>         LibHalContext * ctx;
>         dbus_error_init( &error );
>         connection = dbus_bus_get( DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM, &error );
>
>         if ( dbus_error_is_set( &error ) )
>         {
>              return 0;
>         }
>
>     In the logs I am getting:
>
>     Unable to connect to DBus: Did not receive a reply. Possible
>     causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the
>     message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
>     expired, or the network connection was broken.
>
>     Checking the service messagebus I have:
>
>     service messagebus status
>     dbus-daemon (pid 1773) is running...
>
>     I haven't touched the configuration system.conf so I am a little
>     lost why I can't connect to the daemon.
>
>     Any ideas or pointers?
>
>     Thanks in advance, Andy

Andy Bell