auto activation on the system bus

m labs mlabs.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:53:44 PDT 2011

hello
I'm using RH5.1 and whatever version of dbus shipped with that.
I am trying to set things up so that when a client calls methods on my
service, it will auto-launch a mini-server process that implements the
service interface.
I have put a file 'com.foo.myservice.service' in /usr/share/dbus-1/services
That file contains this:
Name=com.foo.myservice
Exec=mysvc
User=root

and mysvc is in the PATH, owned by root.

I also added a mysvc.conf file to the /etc/dbus-1/system.d which contains:
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-Bus Bus Configuration
1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
    <policy user="root">
        <allow own="*"/>
    </policy>
</busconfig>

but when I call the service from the client I get an error saying that :

0x5555689b8b60 "The name com.foo.myservice was not provided by any .service
files"

TIA