Request for help debugging DBusServer ... (Re: Question ad private DBUS server, how to ...

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 02:42:21 PDT 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 at 11:31:49 +0200, rony wrote:
> The current implementation employs "dbus_server_set_watch_functions()",
> but not "dbus_set_timeout_functions()", because there seems to be no
> need for it.

Well, that's something you're doing that most users of libdbus don't, so...
Try implementing both, and if bugs still occur, *then* start debugging.

(For instance, it's not impossible that deferred events are set up by adding
a "timeout after 0 seconds", either now or in the future.)

>     * it seems that sometimes abends occur, where rarely a backtrace is
>       given.

I think you mean "aborts", not "abends" (not sure where that word came from).

For thread-safety, ensure that you have the latest D-Bus release from either
the 1.4.x or 1.5.x (master) branch, to fix fd.o #38005; and if you doubt your
ability to debug threaded crashes, I strongly advise not using threads with
libdbus.

If at all possible I recommend using an existing main-loop implementation that
is known to work well and has already been debugged, such as the ones in GLib
and Qt.