dbus mini-summit at Desktop Summit 2011

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 08:34:19 PDT 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 at 19:22:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> (As an aside, GLib actually optionally uses libdbus-1 for test cases
> to check that the GDBus message serializer agrees with the libdbus-1.)

Am I right in thinking that, for licensing reasons (D-Bus: GPL/AFL; GLib: LGPL)
you're never going to use libdbus in GIO, other than in optional test-cases,
anyway?

If so, then bootstrapping isn't a concern: we can just say "if you're
bootstrapping, you won't get full test coverage immediately, deal with it".

D-Bus and GLib are far from the only circular semi-dependency that has to be
relaxed for bootstrapping (see <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap> for
efforts to automate n-stage builds to bootstrap Debian ports to new CPU
architectures).