Request for help debugging DBusServer ... (Re: Question ad private DBUS server, how to ...

rony rony at wu.ac.at
Fri Aug 12 02:33:21 PDT 2011

Just a small intermediate update.

On 10.08.2011 13:19, rony wrote:
> On 10.08.2011 11:42, Simon McVittie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 at 11:31:49 +0200, rony wrote:
>>

>>> The current implementation employs "dbus_server_set_watch_functions()",
>>> but not "dbus_set_timeout_functions()", because there seems to be no
>>> need for it.
>>>

>> Well, that's something you're doing that most users of libdbus don't, so...
>> Try implementing both, and if bugs still occur, *then* start debugging.
>>
>> (For instance, it's not impossible that deferred events are set up by adding
>> a "timeout after 0 seconds", either now or in the future.)
>>

> Oh, I see! Will do.

Adding the timeout functions did not change anything (they do not get
invoked).

So intermittently program crashes occur (when re-running the client
program repeatedly in the same process) with the private server, and
there are no "Disconnected" signals when the process that established a
private connection to the private server ends.

    At one point, before a segmentation dump, the server process showed
    the dbus output: "process 11392: The last reference on a connection
    was dropped without closing the connection. This is a bug in an
    application. See dbus_connection_unref() documentation for details.
    Most likely, the application was supposed to call
    dbus_connection_close(), since this is a private connection."
    The only "dbus_connecnon_unref()" in the binding is immediately
    preceeded with "debus_connection_close()". The language binding
    function containing these two statements would be invoked either
    upon Rexx object destruction (the Rexx proxy for the connection) or
    if a "Disconnected" signal was received on that connection.

>> For thread-safety, ensure that you have the latest D-Bus release from either
>> the 1.4.x or 1.5.x (master) branch, to fix fd.o #38005;
>>
> Will check (have 1.4.6, but that may not be new enough).

Found that starting with dbus 1.4.12 this fix is incorporated, so will
have to look how to get that version or newer onto my Ubuntu system
without breaking anything over the weekend.

---rony