signal receiving

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Dec 21 04:54:39 PST 2011

On Wednesday, 21 de December de 2011 14.44.54, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 10:29 AM, Kees Jongenburger wrote:
> > Conceptualy a signal is not sent out but sent to the object. If you
> > want to use signals
> > as a broatcast mechanism you have to fiddle around.
>
> Not really: signals usually don't have any destination set (I'm not even
> sure whether they can have one).

Targeted signals are possible and are in use in some cases, as they're the
only solution to certain race conditions. A targeted signal does not require
the receiver to add a match rule, since each connection will receive all
messages that are targeted to it.

They are quite rare though.

You can work for years with D-Bus and never see any other than the
NameAcquired and NameReleased signals sent by the bus.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358