A dbus.mainloop.NativeMainLoop instance is required [Was: Re: dbus-python: support for Windows and OS X]

Pavel Strashkin pavel.strashkin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 00:13:23 PST 2011

Ralf,
Thanks for that link, it's very usefull and i believe it would be the
good start point.

Simon,
At the moment python-dbus is useless without glib if you want to use
signals or write simple dbus service (i.e. receive messages). Writting
main loop is just a few lines of code (ok, ~100 lines) or as per
message from Ralf's link "here's a similar hand-rolled loop in
dbus-mainloop.c" that can be intergrated into python-dbus. I'm sure
that this work will help us to make dbus/python-dbus absolutely
independent from any 3rd party libs. Also it will help people like
Lukas (i mean the situation) don't be confused in next time why he
needs something else to do a simple work or why it doesn't work as
expected.

If all of this make sence i would be happy to implement it, but i must
be sure on 100% that my work won't be just a patch for me for next
years without integrating into dbus/python-dbus, that somebody will
review the code and help me make it better :) We don't need glib (it
can be an alternative). Users like me want to just download
python-dbus and be happy, especially if cost all of this is 100 lines
of code VS kilobytes and kilobytes of 3rd party libs.