A dbus.mainloop.NativeMainLoop instance is required [Was: Re: dbus-python: support for Windows and OS X]

Lukas Hetzenecker lukas.hetzenecker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 01:03:08 PST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 3. Februar 2011, 12:49:12 schrieb Simon McVittie:
> My guess would be that your dbus-python and PyQt were compiled differently
> (different compilers? different Python versions? ...) in a way that causes
> them to be incompatible.

I doubt this, because I used mingw to compile Qt, PyQt, dbus and dbus-python.
And I only have one Python version on this system.
I also tried to compile it with msvc in another virtual machine, but this
results in the same error.

> PyQt hooks into dbus-python by using a Python
> module with a C API (_dbus_bindings), which is relatively unusual; that's
> why I suggested trying the GLib main loop, which is compiled alongside
> dbus-python itself, so it'd be immune to compiler/version differences.
>
> I do notice that the PyQt website says:
>
>     The DBus support module is installed as dbus.mainloop.qt. [...]
>     It is only available for PyQt for X11.
>
>     -- http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro
>
> but perhaps that information is out of date?

I used the dbus directory from the PyQt-x11-gpl-4.8.3.tar.gz tarball, copied
it to the windows directory and it compiled without an error.