(DBUS/Python) async_callbacks vs. reply_/error_handler

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 23:26:59 PST 2011

I'm using the Python/DBUS bindings for asynchronous inter-process
calls in my Twisted/PyGTK app.

I know about using the "reply_handler"/"error_handler" for calling
methods on proxy objects, and connecting to signals, but I've also
read about the "async_callbacks" argument to the dbus.service.method
decorator[1].

The problem is, the section of the docs that should detail this[2] is empty...

So what's the difference? If I have an "async_callbacks" argument in
my service, will a call on the proxy object in another process behave
any differently than if I used the "reply_handler"/"error_handler"
arguments? How can I decide which is best for my situation?

Cheers,
Jason

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2142115/implementation-of-an-async-method-in-python-dbus
[2] http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/doc/tutorial.html#asynchronous-method-implementations