Conecting to D-Bus daemon over the network

Bogdan b.lotko at chello.at
Fri Feb 18 07:56:07 PST 2011

Hello,

I'd like to know if it is possible to connect to the remote D-Bus daemon over
the network. The "tcp:host=hostaddr,port=nr" address form suggest that this
shall be possible, otherwise I don't understand what could it be good for.

for tests I've started a dbus-daemon on host A
 ./dbus-daemon  --config-file=./test.conf

with following statement in the test.conf file:

<listen>"tcp:host=192.168.0.1,port=12345"</listen>

All attempts to connect to this daemon from the another host  failed, the
problem is the authentication (daemon compiled and started in verbose mode).

Please let me know if there is any possibility to connect in such a way to the
D-Bus daemon?
How should the configuration file look like?
Is there anything to do on the client side?

Unfortunately all these topics are not covered in D-Bus documentation.

Regards,
B.Lotko