"DBus Embedded" - a clean break
Ville M. Vainio
vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:53:38 PST 2011
Just some subversive thoughts (not a practical development project for now):
- Dbus is very slow. It's okay on desktop, but on mobile platforms
- It could be much (10x?) faster - switch to shared memory, posix
message queues for data transmission (references to relevant shared
memory blocks), do not do any verification
- Switch to peer-to-peer communication as soon as possible while doing
the handshake through daemon (minimize context switches, transmission
- It should be possible to make apps using libdbus to still work with
this new structure, to retain application compatibility. Obviously
wire protocol disappears completely.
- Retain the current serialization functionality. However, provide a
way to skip it (since people say it's one reason why dbus is slow) and
transmit raw binary data very quickly.
Implementing this might be easier than fixing dbus, and it could get
rid of thread synchronization problems. It would definitely fix speed.
Ville M. Vainio @@ Forum Nokia
More information about the dbus