"DBus Embedded" - a clean break

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 20 01:28:09 PST 2011

Hi Ville,

On 01/20/2011 09:53 AM, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> - It could be much (10x?) faster - switch to shared memory, posix
> message queues for data transmission (references to relevant shared
> memory blocks), do not do any verification

Agree with all the above, except about usage of POSIX message queues: they are a
limited resource, and if all we are doing is passing a handle to a shared memory
area, a FIFO might just be as good.

[...]
> Thoughts?

In a small fraction of my already limited free time, I'm studying how to
implement a similar monster. See:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2011-January/013964.html

All the points you wrote above would hold. And every client could specify what
transport it desires for the data channel; for instance:

- FIFO + shm
- POSIX message queues + shm (for real time apps, if POSIX queues are actually
faster than FIFOs)
- socket (for slower but more secure communication)

Ciao,
   Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <-- geek in un lingua international!