"DBus Embedded" - a clean break

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Thu Jan 20 08:56:01 PST 2011

On Thu Jan 20 14:37, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> On 01/20/2011 01:56 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>> - Switch to peer-to-peer communication as soon as possible while doing
>>> the handshake through daemon (minimize context switches, transmission
>>> counts).

Peer-to-peer is ok for method calls (but one of the goals of dbus was to avoid
n-squared connections between all the peers), but not for signals

> D-Bus serialization is fine, but providing a way to skip it might be a
> performance benefit when peers need to exchange data that is already
> serialized in some other way (for instance by the serialization provided
> by QDataStream).

That would then only be readable by other things with QDataStream. The point of
D-Bus is that your QT app can talk to my Java app - even if you don't know that
I've written a client for your program in Java.

Matt