1.4.1, 1.5.0, 1.6

Brian Cameron brian.cameron at oracle.com
Tue Jan 25 06:40:38 PST 2011

Pavel:

On 01/25/11 07:53 AM, Pavel Strashkin wrote:
> Looks good, but there is no any word about Solaris. Why? There is a
> lot (or few) of issues under Solaris, some of them already have the
> patches, but nobody want to check it. I would like to improve DBus for
> Solaris platforms, but i don't how. What i must to do? Especially when
> all patches and discussions go in silence.

If there are Solaris specific issues to discuss, you could probably also
get help at the OpenSolaris desktop-discuss mailing list.  The people
who work on D-Bus at Oracle are on this list.

One reason that Solaris D-Bus activity has simmered down recently is
that Solaris has frozen on 1.2.26, which seems to work well with GNOME
2.30.   I continue to build new versions of D-Bus on Solaris as they
are released and work to get compilation fixes upstream, but there has
not been much D-Bus runtime testing on Solaris with the newer D-Bus.

It might be possible to update Solaris to the newer D-Bus.  However, it
isn't clear if trying to use a newer version of D-Bus makes sense with
an older version of GNOME like GNOME 2.30.  Does it add value or is
D-Bus 1.4/1.6, like many modules, focused more on newer desktop needs,
like GNOME 3.x, GNOME & KDE a11y integration, etc.?

At some point, the work to support GNOME 2.30 will calm down and there
will then likely be more of a focus to work more closely with upstream.
Something similar happened when Sun released Solaris 10.  It took a
while after the release before development on head picked up again.
I anticipate the delay will be shorter this time, simply because the
Oracle team is now more experienced working with upstream.

Brian