Amount of D-Bus messages with Telepathy

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed Jan 26 07:55:19 PST 2011

Hi,

One thing that may be important for performance is how often these are
round trips. When testing a similar thing in xcb I just stuck printfs
in the blocking functions (in the dbus case, it would be stuff like
dbus_pending_call_block); and as an elaboration, I timed each blocking
instance and logged cases where it blocked more than a certain number
of ms. Also use the backtrace-printing code which is in dbus source
tree already iirc, to find what blocks and not just how often
something does. If you structure your printf output it's easy to then
write a script to get aggregate results.