Java DBus compile problems

Andreas Volz lists at brachttal.net
Fri Jan 28 00:40:39 PST 2011

Am Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:44:48 +0000 schrieb Matthew Johnson:

> On Thu Jan 27 22:09, Andreas Volz wrote:
> > > DSITracer.java:7:
> > >
> > >  @NoReply("true")
> > >
> > > it should just be @NoReply()
> >
> > Thanks, this works. I found the problem in the XML file:
> >
> >     <method name="start">
> >       <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Method.NoReply"
> > value="true"/> </method>
> >
> > The DBus-C++ uses this annotation to create a NoReply function. As
> > I'm the maintainer of the C++ binding I could change this. Not sure
> > who defined it to be "true"/"false". Is the a list of available
> > defined annotations somewhere? Or is this binding specific?
>
> No idea, so long since I wrote that bit.

I just found it in the DBus specification:

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html

> org.freedesktop.DBus.Method.NoReply	true,false	If set,
> don't expect a reply to the method call; defaults to false.

So I would propose you change the Java implementation for the next
library update. The current implementation doesn't seem to support
values.

For now I'll patch my XML at this point. I've no other idea for now. As
workaround I could change the C++ binding to allow this annotation
without value. But the specification "defaults to false" is a little
confusing. Does this mean it defaults to false if the annotation isn't
given or only if value isn't given. Not very clear. Better force value
always to be given...

regards
	Andreas