Question ad reporting dbus errors ...

rony rony at wu.ac.at
Thu Jul 28 06:02:35 PDT 2011

On 28.07.2011 13:02, rony wrote:
> While experimenting with a language binding implementation that uses
> "dbus_connection_read_write(conn,milliTimeout)" it seems to be the case
> that with dbus 1.4.6 (update from Ubuntu)  interactions with dbus
> afterwards are causing errors quite oftens (e.g. "int res =
> dbus_bus_request_name (conn, busName, requestFlags, &err);"; the error
> message in this case is "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply"!).
> Sometimes it works.
>
> Running the same programs in a virtual machine Ubuntu with dbus 1.4.0
> works flawlessly and reliable.
>
> Not sure whether I should report this (if for the Ubuntu project, where?
> if for the DBus project, where?)
>
> --rony

Could trace it down on Ubuntu's DBus 1.4.6 a little bit further: when
running a dbus_connection_read_write()-loop, a segmentation fault can
occur right at "dbusMsg=dbus_connection_pop_message(conn);" [one time a
runtime message "process 3964: type unknown 255 not a basic type" was
issued] or the errors "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" or it works
(appr. in one out of ten attempts).

---rony