A dbus.mainloop.NativeMainLoop instance is required [Was: Re: dbus-python: support for Windows and OS X]

Marcus Nascimento marcus.cps at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:51:19 PDT 2011

Lukas,

I know there is DBus Bindings for QT. Considering you're creating a self
contained application, there is no problem at all.
But think about a library that may be integrated into a QT application (and
any other non QT application).
If you need to use dbus from this lib, you shouldn't (or even can't) base
your lib on QT.
So, my QT application would have to allow a Glib based event dispatcher. And
I know this is possible. Just couldn't find how.

Marcus

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Lukas Hetzenecker <
lukas.hetzenecker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've unfortunately not yet found a solution for other operating systems
> (but I
> also didn't investigate it much further). However, I'm still interested in
> porting my PyQt4/D-Bus - based application to Windows.
>
> > I know it is possible to run QT based on GLibMainLoop on Linux.
> > Unfortunelly I couldn't managed to do that.
> > I'm very interested in knowing how to do that or using some other Looping
> > solution for Dbus.
>
> Qt offers a native mainloop for D-Bus, so there is no need to use the
> mainloop
> from glib ( http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qtdbus.html ).
>
> There are already some C++ applications that use this approch (KDE project)
> and it seems to work fine.
>
> So - in my opinion - the problem is in the PyQt bindings (the official
> documentation actually states that D-Bus support is only available for
> PyQt/X11). Maybe we should ask Phil Thompson, maintainer of PyQt4, if he
> has
> plans to support Windows too? The link to mailing list is
>
> Lukas
>
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011, 22:18:20 schrieb Pascal Garcia:
> > Hello,
> > I have to port an application in python using dbus-python and qt to
> Windows.
> > Of course I have encountered difficulties as you had, I did not
> understand
> > everything that has been reported here, and obviously I need to learn
> > before I can find a solution.
> > Have corrections been proposed ? Is there any how-to to follow to have
> dbus
> > python and qt running on windows.
> > Thank you very much,
> > Regards
> > Pascal Garcia

Marcus Vinícius do Nascimento
Engenharia de Computação - EC03 - UNICAMP