Object path restrictions

Pavel Strashkin pavel.strashkin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 07:33:58 PDT 2011

Hello,

The D-Bus specification says the following "Each element must only
contain the ASCII characters "[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_" about object path. Is
there any real reason why you don't want to see ".", "-", " ", ";" and
other (except "/") characters in an element? I'm writting the service
which exposes PCs objects over the network. Each PC is present by
hostname or IP address. The current restriction doesn't allow me to do
it because such object names contain ".". The same for filesystem like
service - if your object path is the path to the file or directory -
you fail because you can't use spaces, dots, ... as element
characters.
I think D-Bus should go in the same way as URLs: keep "/" as elements
delimiter, allow other characters within and use %XX for quoting. For
the first time quoting can be ommited.

P.S. Please dont be cofused - i'm talking about object paths, not bus
names nor interface names!

Thank you!