tutorial for Windows

Romain Pokrzywka romain.pokrzywka at kdab.com
Wed Mar 2 16:15:39 PST 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011 09:01:09 Vincent Torri wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Romain Pokrzywka
>
> <romain.pokrzywka at kdab.com>wrote:
> > On Monday 28 February 2011 12:07:40 Vincent Torri wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Romain Pokrzywka
> > > <romain.pokrzywka at kdab.com

> > > they are in my PATH.

> > > done

> > and

> > > actually, no. I have:
> > >
> > > $ dbus-monitor.exe
> > > Failed to open connection to session bus: Failed to get autolaunch
> >
> > address
> >
> > > from launched dbus-daemon
> > >
> > > in the Task manager, I see one dbus-daemon launch by dbus-daemon.exe
> > > --session. Then when i launch bus-monitor.exe, I see 2 others
> > > dbus-daemon.exe processes, one terminated almost immediatly (so it
> >
> > remains
> >
> > > 2 dbus-daemon.exe processes running).
> > >
> > > That's all I can say.
> >
> > Thanks for the info.
> > Weird, that sounds like dbus-monitor was built with a different version
> > than dbus-daemon. The symptoms you describe
> > indicate that dbus-monitor doesn't recognize the running daemon, which is
> > normally a built-in mechanism.
> > I suppose you don't have any other dbus builds in your path, or previous
> > installations, and that you didn't modify the
> > file etc/session.conf  ?
>
> I have no other dbus installation. It didn't even know there was a
> session.conf. This file is located /usr/local/etc/dbus-1
>
> > Otherwise it sounds like a problem related to the options passed (or not)
> > when building dbus. Can you provide us with
> > the following :
> >
> > - which source version you used (1.4.x ?)
>
> 1.4.6
>
> > - what build tool you used : cmake or automake
>
> autotools
>
> > - which command line options you passed it
>
> --with-xml=libxml
>
> I have libxml2, and there was no error messages during configuration.
> Should I use expat ?
>
> Vincent Torri

Ok, thanks for the additional info.

I personally use expat, but I think libxml should work fine too.
My gut feeling is that there is a wrong default in the autotools build options, so the resulting dbus-daemon doesn't
work out-of-the-box. Could you try building with cmake instead maybe ?

Also, it looks like you're using msys or cygwin as the shell to build and run the tests, as you mention
/usr/local/etc/dbus-1. I'm not sure this is a supported/tested scenario, especially with the path-based scoping
mechanism for the daemon and clients.

Maybe Ralf Habacker knows more about this. Ralf ?

--
Romain Pokrzywka | romain.pokrzywka at kdab.com | Senior Qt Software Engineer & Trainer