What are dbus services ?

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 20 23:47:15 PDT 2011

On 03/21/2011 01:26 AM, Yoann Sculo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand exactly what are the dbus services for.
> But I can't find explanations on this particular topic. I can understand this is
> a precise unique point on the bus. But I don't really understand the link or
> differences with proxies.

One process registers a service with the D-Bus daemon. All clients willing to
use this service create a proxy for it.
When clients call some methods on the proxy object, the proxy objects converts
these methods into D-Bus calls, which are received and executed by the process
which registered the service.
A proxy is just an object in the client's memory space.

HTH,
   Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <-- geek in un lingua international!