control groups

Robin Bate Boerop me at robinbb.com
Fri Apr 13 11:32:45 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-13, at 10:10 AM, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
At Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:49:49 -0400,
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> In the performance paper
>> http://shorestreet.com/sites/shorestreet.com/files/dbus-perf-report-0.9.9.pdf
>> there's discussion of scheduler issues where the bus only gets the
>> same CPU slice as each individual dependent app, so in the aggregate
>> the apps get way too much time and the bus way too little.
>
> This is a basic problem throughly examined by the real-time scheduling
> community.  Start looking at things like priority inheritance
> (globally fairer) or priority ceiling (easier to implement).

I am the primary author of the cited paper.

I agree that the scheduling problems discussed in the paper would be trivially solvable with real-time scheduling facilities like those mentioned above. Unfortunately, on the systems on which D-Bus operates (Windows, vanilla Linux), those in-kernel scheduling facilities are not available. I wish that they were.

There may be some good solutions available with cgroups. Windows does not have those, AFAIK.