DBus for LSB

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 03:37:30 PDT 2012

On 17/04/12 19:08, Colin Walters wrote:
> 1) The wire protocol

This has effectively been "add-only" for a while.

> 2) The libdbus-1.so shared library

(More precisely, libdbus-1.so.3, since LSB standardizes a particular
SONAME, as I understand it - and if it doesn't, it should.)

Can we say that the portable interface is that you must use it from your
main thread, and only your main thread? The current situation is that
libdbus sort of works with threads, sometimes, but not reliably.

(1.5 is better, but probably still not perfect.)

Attempting to cope with both multi-threading and malloc() returning NULL
is a major impediment to libdbus - either/or would be fine, but having
both is a problem.

> 3) The interface and semantics exported by the bus daemon

These are mostly add-only, with a few exceptions (e.g. changing the
behaviour of eavesdropping).

Can we say that the LSB behaviour does not guarantee anything about
eavesdropping? ("Eavesdropping" is receiving messages addressed to
someone else - i.e. non-broadcast and not intended for you. Debug tools
do it, mainly.)