control groups

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Wed Apr 18 03:43:02 PDT 2012

At Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:13:11 +0200,
Bart Cerneels wrote:

> On di 17 apr 2012 22:02:20 CEST, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Any reactions to the proposal below?
> >
> > I'd like to bring it to some kernel developers to have their feedback, but I
> > don't want to waste their time if we can poke holes with the D-Bus side of it.
>
> To me it sounds like we want to solve a priority inversion problem by
> deliberately raising priority.
> Clever scheduler tricks can certainly help, but don't solve the
> fundamental problem of the daemon being the bottleneck.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Priority ceiling is a standard technique
to deal with priority inversion.  Proper scheduling and accounting of
the resources consumed by the daemon require that the daemon binds to
the client's scheduling context when servicing a request so that the
client gets charged and the operation is executed with the right
parameters.  But, even just supporting priority ceiling will help.

Neal