DBus for LSB

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Wed Apr 18 07:44:44 PDT 2012

On 04/17/2012 02:08 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 13:39 -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the next LSB release (LSB 5.0) the LSB work group would like to
>> include DBus in the LSB. For this to heppen we need to figure out what
>> interfaces and commands should be included in the LSB. The target
>> version for inclusion would be DBus 1.4
>
> So there's approximately 4 major components to "DBus":
>
> 1) The wire protocol
> 2) The libdbus-1.so shared library
> 3) The interface and semantics exported by the bus daemon
> 4) The tools
>
>> Taking a look at openSUSE 11.4 I found 333 interfaces marked as GLOBAL
>> in the library. But I didn't find any documentation of the interfaces on
>> the DBus site. I was probably looking the the wrong place,
>
> Yes, http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/index.html

Does a "frozen" version of the doc exist for DBus 1.4? For LSB purposes
we would either have to refer to this frozen doc or pull the 1.4
documentation into the spec or onto the LF site to ensure it can always
be found and matched with the released specification.

> Cursory inspection of the source code would reveal the documentation as
> well.
>
>>   thus if
>> someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.
>
> You seem to be referring to 2).

Yes, as LSB is mostly an ABI standard.

> However, I think the major focus of
> "standardization" should be on 1)

Yes, message encoding and the type system would be part of the LSB. The
doc for this is great and we can mostly just pull it into the LSB.

> and 3).

You mean the dbus-daemon command?

> It's true that at present
> many components use libdbus-1.so, and we will keep it stable for ISVs.

> As for 4) - not very interesting for standardization I think; they're
> all either developer tools or internal OS components.  Maybe fixing
> the dbus-send interface in stone would make sense - it's not like
> we're ever going to change it anyways.

Thus you suggest that only dbus-daemon and dbus-send command be part of
the LSB?

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead