DBUS for interprocess communication

rajnikant jachak rajnikantjachak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 02:26:15 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm considering DBUS (Version-1.6.2) to be used as IPC medium. I would be
having one dbus service running which will serve 10-15 clients at single
point of instance. The communication across all these clients/service will
be through DBUS daemon. There would be large data (15-20K) exchange across
all participating clients through DBUS.
1. Should service have one interface-member, which will serve signal
requests from all connected clients? Or is it better to have different
dedicated signal members over same dbus interface for each connected
client, which it should use to get service from DBUS? Which design would
result in better DBUS performance?
2. How much data should one dbus signal can carry over with it? I saw DBUS
performance degrading with increase in data with signal. (More the data,
more is the time it takes to reach client).

let me know your views/suggestions over this.

--
Regards,
Rajnikant Jachak.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the
opportunity in every difficulty.