DBUS - Is it possible to have 2 instance of session bus or something similar?‏

Manoj.Sing manoj.sing at aol.in
Thu Dec 6 22:09:35 PST 2012

Hi,

I am facing some weird requirement with DBus based implementation. I would like to know if this is possible to have 2 instance of DBUS_SESSION_BUS or anything similar to this.

Well, the reason why I am looking for this typical requirement is my processes (nodes on bus) are duplicated (i.e having 1+ instance) and they all have registered for same signals.

(For ex) Node-A and Node-B both emits SIGNAL-1 and Node-X and Node-Y both would like to receive SIGNAL-1 (they have registered for SIGNAL-1 by dbus_add_match() call),
Now, if once the signal-1 gets emitted, the dbus daemon will deliver it to both Node-X and Node-Y.
Where as my requirement is Node-A's signal-1 should be received by Node-X and Node-B's SINGAL-1 should be receieved by Node-B

What all I have tried / analysed :
1. dbus_connection_open_private() - Not much help, not sure on usage part as limited documentation is available.
2. dbus_bus_get_private() - not relevant in this scenario.
3. Thinking of replication the daemon - Too complicated and not easy to achieve.
4. Possibility of using DBUS_XYX_BUS instead of DBUS_SESSION_BUS (with respective changes) - again too complicated and not sure on dependencies.

I would like to know your views on this, any help / directions / heads up will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Manoj