Python / C++ application D-Bus usage issues

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Wed Dec 12 12:57:58 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 20:58 -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2012 20.47.37, Kip Warner wrote:
> >                 # Initialize the remote proxy...
> >                 objectProxy = self._sessionBus.get_object(
> >                     DBUS_SERVICE_NAME, DBUS_OBJECT_PATH)
> >
> [cut]
> >     The Python application prints the following on the console:
> >
> >         ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error
> > on :1.568:/com/myproject/MyObject: dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
> > org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply
> > (timeout by message bus)
>
> That above is your mistake. You're trying to get from your C++ application the
> description of an object that doesn't exist. In fact, your C++ application has
> no concept of objects and will not reply to the request of information on them
> (the Introspect call).
>
> You do not need to get a proxy object. You simply need to send the signal.

Thanks Thiago, but can you show me how to do that? The reason I ask is I
thought I was already doing that here:

message = SignalMessage(DBUS_OBJECT_PATH, DBUS_INTERFACE, "Ready")
self._sessionBus.send_message(message)
self._sessionBus.flush()

Should I have just left DBUS_OBJECT_PATH as an empty string?

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred