Python / C++ application D-Bus usage issues

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Dec 17 21:03:23 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 20:38 -0800, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 10:26 +0200, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > The Introspect message is sent by the proxy object that you create in
> > the Python application. Since the C++ application doesn't export any
> > objects to D-Bus, there's no point in creating any proxy objects in the
> > Python application.
>
> Hey Tanu. The problem is I need the Python application to also receive
> some signals from the C++ application and the only way I know how to do
> this is by having created the proxy object:

Earlier you wrote:

"I am not really sure how to deal with the Introspect message. I am
guessing the receiving C++ application is suppose to respond to this
message by sending back an XML description of its supported interface
(which it shouldn't have any)."

That sounded like the C++ application wouldn't be sending any signals.
If the C++ application is sending signals, it needs to export objects to
D-Bus, which means that it will have an interface, which in turn should
be introspectable. So, you need to handle the Introspect message in the
C++ application, because the Python bindings depend on that
functionality.

--
Tanu