D-Bus windows help

brett at stottlemyer.com brett at stottlemyer.com
Mon Jul 2 09:23:39 PDT 2012

Hi Thiago,

Thanks for the reply.

> D-Bus is not a good solution for machine-to-machine communcation, unless
> you
> patch D-Bus and you know what you're doing. If you're a beginner, then
> that's
> probably not for you.

I thought given the ability to change the address via environment setting,
it would be easy to extend that direction, so I appreciate the warning
that it isn't simple.  There are probably ways to avoid machine-to-machine
communication for what I am trying to do.

> nonce-tcp is a solution that requires the client to find a file, open it
> and
> read a shared secret which must be transmitted to the server. This ensures
> the server that the client had the proper filesystem rights to find the
> file and
> read it.
>
> By definition, this nonce file cannot be read by clients running on other
> machines, so remote connections would not be allowed.

What would be an appropriate address to use for qdbusviewer and the
car/car controller example for running on a single machine?  If nonce-tcp
is the right choice, is there an example of creating the noncefile and how
to pass the shared secret?

I just want to get a simple example up and running.

Thanks again,
Brett