Netlink-based D-Bus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Mar 21 02:25:42 PDT 2012

On quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 10.05.54, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > As for large messages, I think D-Bus should not be used for that purpose
> > in  the first place...
> >

> totally agree, but there are users of D-Bus that use it for this, so we
> might want to have a good performance on this.

Indeed. D-Bus is not intended to be used for bulk data transfer. However, the
message size limits are high enough so that an API designed for small
signalling doesn't crash horribly when faced with an unexpected huge input
data.

For example, imagine an API that returns a array of int32 containing the IDs
of messages in a mail server folder. Under "normal" circumstances, folders
have up to a couple of thousand messages, which would mean a payload of around
8 kB.

Now suddenly the user uses a folder with 500000 emails -- that's a 2 MB
transfer. It will be slow, but it won't horribly crash -- not until the
message limit of 2^26 (64 MB, or 16 million messages) is attained.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358