Multithreading with QtDBus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Nov 1 08:05:44 PDT 2012

On quinta-feira, 1 de novembro de 2012 16.48.22, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Ogden, Nick <nick.ogden at usa.g4s.com> wrote:
> > My first question is whether or not this usage scenario is supported /
> > expected to work with QtDBus?
>
> DBus just isn't thread safe, even if it does a best effort to do that.
>
> (unless this has changed in recent years; If it has changed, I missed the
> memo).
>
> To be safe, ensure everything that touches dbus happens in the
> applications main loop.

That's incorrect.

D-Bus is thread-safe and has been for years. QtDBus makes good use of it and
has supported multiple threads since 2007. Sure, there have been bugs, like
this one, and like one that was very serious, but there is no design issue
that would make thread safety impossible.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358