dbus-daemon Dan

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 22 07:46:59 PDT 2013

Sorry 'bout any difficulty with threading - I use pop-3 at home, and then
forwarded it to work, then back here....

From: Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
On 21/08/13 21:58, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On quarta-feira, 21 de agosto de 2013 14:37:21, m.roth at 5-cent.us
>> wrote:
>>> We recently upgraded several systems from FC17 to FC19, and now,
>>> in the log, we see on all of them dbus-daemon[pid]: Dan

> This is stdout or stderr output from a non-systemd, activatable
> service (one with a file in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services that
> does not contain the SystemdService setting). On a sysvinit system, it
> would have gone to /dev/null, but on a systemd system, it gets logged.

Thanks for the clear explanation. Much appreciated.

> Look for files in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services that do not have a
> SystemdService, then either turn them into systemd services (which
> would let you control their logging individually), or use strings(1)
> to find out which one mentions "Dan".

No joy. grep says nada mentions Dan.

>> Somehow services launched by the system bus fool syslog into
>> thinking the message comes from the D-Bus daemon. I don't know how
>> that is possible.

And, adding to this, is Dan Walsh's comments:
> I believe this is comming from a debug message in setroubleshoot or
> setroubleshoot-plugin.  I thought we had updated packages to fix this.

Dan, if it is, is there a workaround to shut it up?

Thanks, all.

      mark