dbus_message_set/get_data usage

Brosseau, Vincent vincent.brosseau at bruker.fr
Thu Dec 12 05:18:32 PST 2013

I don't use high-level DBus library, because I use DBus in an embedded linux system (on ARM9).
I tried to compile such libraries (like GDBus), but they require other libraries, which require other libraries, and so on... And in some cases I failed to build the dependencies for my target.
That's why I use only libdbus, which requires only "expat" library (XML parser). And it's not so complicated to use it as it is.

The ParameterSet struct is like this : (you're right, I was not very clear on this point)

#define MAX_COUNT 10
#define VALUE_MAX_SIZE 128

typedef struct
{
	int count;
	char value[MAX_COUNT][VALUE_MAX_ SIZE];
} ParameterSet;
// MAX_COUNT is the max. number of values, and VALUE_MAX_SIZE is max. string length
// ex : value[0] may contain "hello"

And as I wrote, if I use directly &param.value[index] (where param's type is ParameterSet) in dbus_message_iter_append_basic(), I get a "Segmentation fault".

You say that char[m][n] is not the same type as char*[n]. Why ? Arrays are pointers ([] = *), and addresses are pointers (& = *).

As far as I know, in my case &param.value[index] is like char** (isn't it ?), since value[index] is like char* (a string, a pointer/address to a char, an array of char), and &char* is like char** (both are memory addresses which point to "h").
dbus_message_iter_append_basic() knows that it's a string thanks to its second argument "DBUS_TYPE_STRING", then it knows that there's something else after the "h" (up to \0).

Then I don't understand why it crashes.