switch from 1.4.x to 1.6.x

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 07:03:49 PST 2013

On 21/02/13 14:25, Tim Sander wrote:
> I just tried to upgrade dbus from 1.4.x to 1.6 x on my system.

Major-version upgrades for something as central as the system
dbus-daemon are something that should usually be done at a distribution
level. If your distribution only has D-Bus 1.4, either keep using that,
upgrade to a later release of that distribution, or switch to a
faster-moving distribution.

> The stuff is rolled by myself but the config files where taken from a
> ubuntu installation.

On Ubuntu (including variants like Kubuntu) this is particularly true,
because Ubuntu's dbus packages have unmerged patches for Upstart service
activation support, and Ubuntu's boot process relies on having a patched
D-Bus with Upstart support.

If you absolutely *must* use D-Bus 1.6 on an Ubuntu release that
originally came with 1.4, you could try taking the patched 1.6 versions
from a later Ubuntu release, but it would be safer to upgrade the whole
system to that later release.