Questions ad using GDBus instead of libdbus (Re: Fwd: Re: Race condition in send_with_reply_and_block()

rony rony at wu.ac.at
Tue Jul 23 06:09:23 PDT 2013

Hi Simon,

thank you for your comments. I take from them that libdbus is somewhat a proof-of-concept reference
implementation, whereas GDBus is somewhat more a "real-world" implementation than libdbus,
especially w.r.t. multithreading and better maintained?

---

You have been suggesting from time to time to switch to/use GDBus. So maybe a few questions from
someone who has no working knowledge of it and the environment it needs in order to execute:

  * Can GDBus be used without a message loop?
  * What infrastructure is needed to be able to run GDBUs on AIX, Linux, MacOSX, Windows? Are there
    maybe stand-alone packages for installation on these systems (and for the Windows world, maybe
    precompiled binaries)?
  * What do you expect GDBUs' lifetime will be (how long would it be developed, maintained)?
  * How big of an effort do you think it will be to port a libdbus language binding to GDBUS (took
    me quite some time to dig into the libdbus APIs and debug the binding, hence another reason for
    me to be inclined to stick with libdbus, if possible at all)?

TIA for any insights, hints, pointers, suggestions, warnings ;) !

---rony