Python <--> d-bus <--> c++ woes

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 05:25:12 PDT 2013

On 21/03/13 01:24, Kip Warner wrote:
> As I understand it, at
> least in the context of Ubuntu Precise and later, if using the GDBus
> bindings from Python3, an application should only need to rely on the
> python3-gi package being installed, and not python3-dbus?

Correct. The naming convention used for Python stuff in Debian and
Ubuntu is that if you "import foo" then the binary package should be
called python-foo or python3-foo, regardless of its upstream name (the
same way we nearly always package libthing.so.2 as libthing2, even if
its upstream calls it thinglib or something).

As a result, the project whose upstream name is PyGI gets packaged as
python[3]-gi, and the project whose upstream name is dbus-python gets
packaged as python[3]-dbus.

Fedora sticks more closely to projects' upstream names, so their package
names for both C and Python libraries are usually different.

>> On Debian/Ubuntu, the runtime library, libgio-2.0.so.0, is part of the
>> libglib2.0-0 package
>
> Would you say that under Ubuntu, just checking to make sure python3-gi
> is installed is sufficient?

Yes, because python[3]-gi depends on the introspection data for GLib,
GObject and GIO already.