C++ Bindings

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri May 10 14:33:33 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 11:20 -0700, Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I'm starting to evaluate whether dbus is the right solution for my
> project.  As I understand it, rather than trying to build an application
> directly on top of libdbus, I should use one of the bindings found here:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DBusBindings
>
>     There are two recommended C++ bindings, dbus-c++ and dbus-cxx.  Is one
> of these particularly recommended over the other?  I noticed that the last
> release of dbus-cxx was over 3 years ago, so I'm wondering if it is still
> actively being maintained.
>
>     Also, what is particularly painful about building an application on top
> of libdbus itself?  It seems that I may be faced with the choice of using a
> potentially buggy binding which is no longer maintained, or using the core
> library which might make implementation more difficult.  Its not
> immediately clear to me which way to go at this point.
>
> Regards,
>
> jon

Hey Jon. I'm fairly new to dbus as well and was faced with the same
predicament a few months ago. I found that the best approach for my
needs was to rely on the glib interface via GIO. It's still a procedural
C API, but it seemed to be as good as it gets for us. It's much better
maintained than dbus-cxx and higher level than libdbus.

Hope that helps.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred